Sunday, June 05, 2011

R.I.P. Eagle Tavern

Punker supergroup OFF! features Keith Morris (Black Flag, Circle Jerks), Dimitri Coates (Burning Brides) on guitar, Steven McDonald (Redd Kross) on bass, and Mario Rubalcaba (Earthless, Hot Snakes, Rocket from the Crypt) on drums. They played the second to last live show at the (unfortunately) historic Eagle Tavern. The Eagle--featured in the very first post of this blog--has been ousted from their spot by a greedy landlord who wants to get rid of a landmark in favor of condos or some silly straight club that will probably tank in three months.

Anyhow, went to the show with my lady, got in a weird argument on the patio with her during the opening band, who's name I can't remember (they didn't sound too compelling from the patio), made up, went in, punked out, took some photos.

Culture Kids came on before OFF! and fucking killed it. They've got a raw-boned early Bad Brains DGF type attitude. It was refreshing to see a new punk band that wasn't formulaic or cutesy pop.OFF! hit the stage with a vengeance. Keith immediately started his celebrated "I'm in a Box" Marcel Marceau mime act. Great fuckin' shirt:
This was followed hard upon by his "Surfin' Tsunami Claw." Anyone who knows Josh from the Buckshot think there's a similarity here?All up in yo grill:
Dimitri:
Steven McDonald, lookin' hella sexy. I think dude behind him might be rubbing one out:
Good times were had by all. The Eagle was no stranger to hot man on man action:
OFF! proved themselves to be greater than than the sum of their celebrated pedigrees and brought the noise with fury. Thank you, gentlemen.

In other news, I've zip-tied a piece of tire to the bottom of my cast and am hobbling around crutch free against my better judgment:
The idea was to be able to ride around the neighborhood, but if my girlfriend were to find out I was doing this, she'd go ahead and chop my foot off, so I probably won't. I want to get on this bad boy a.s.a.p:
Traitor Ruben with Hayes Stroker Ryde hydraulic discs, DMR chromo wing bars, Wellgo MG-1 magnesium pedals, 9 speed cassette with single front ring, Ultegra derailleur, and XT shifter. This tits. Got eight days left before I'm in a walking cast and I can't wait.

1 comment:

Hammerin Hanke, space-simian said...

wish I coulda seen OFF!, and bummer about the Eagle... where the fux Gary Floyd gonna play?!?!?!?